Design a product box to capture the essence of your company.
Ask your people to sell the company as a box. Not a blanc moving box, really a product box. You know, with the company's name in a specific type of lettering, with images, with color branding... Your smartphone didn't come in a default brown box either, did it?
The team has to think through the meaning of your business. What does your company stand for?
You will find out what your team members perceive as important and unique to your company.
Actively crafting the box opens up your mind to new insights. The limited space of the cardboard box also challenges you to come to the point.
60 - 90 minutes
What do you need?
- Cardboard boxes (one for each participant)
- Basic handcrafting materials (pencils, scissors, glue, pens, markers)
- Coloured paper
- Paint and brushes
How do you do it?
- Hand out the cardboard boxes
- Explain the exercise: Design a product box for the company you work for. The box has to capture the essence and vision of the company and it has to stand out (think like a marketeer!).
- When creating a product box, these elements are essential:
- A good slogan
- A short discription
- A list of new and unique features
- A design that makes it stand out
- Give the team 40-50 minutes to craft their box.
- When all team members have finished their boxes, they have to pitch the box. Ask them to sell their product (not the box itself) to the group by means of the box, as if the product (i.e. your company) were really packed into it.
- Encourage the others in the room to ask questions and make remarks.
The product box technique is divergent (the crafting part)
and convergent (one final product per participant)